Wednesday 22 September 2010

Welcome autumn

I love the change of seasons. I love change in general, and a new season, like a new year, are like a crisp white new sheet of paper, full of promise and possibility and ready to be filled with new and exciting things. Among all the seasons, autumn is my favourite one. In Argentina, I couldn't wait until the long soporific summer was over and it was cool in the mornings and evenings again. In Belgium, I suppose I lost a bit the longing for autumn, as, well, Belgian summer IS like autumn and autumn and winter are just one long straight road to chilly and damp days.

In Japan, though, and specially this year summer has been long and incredibly hot (the hottest 113 years)  So I cannot tell you how happy I am with the official end of the summer. Tonight is "Shubun no Hi" or autumnal equinox, there will be a full moon and, according to the weather forecast, as of tomorrow temperatures will drop to 24 degrees. My Japanese teacher has told me that the custom is to decorate your windowsill with pampas grass and "mochi" (sweet rice cakes) as an offering. I don't think there will be much pampas grass in our appartment, but I will certainly be celebrating.

And, since we're on an inspiring note, here's a little quote from a poster you can buy in the UK (the author is Jerome K Jerome):

"Let your boat of life be light. Packed with only what you need: a homely home and simple pleasures; someone to love and someone to love you; a cat, a dog and a pipe or two; enough to eat and to wear and a little more than enough to drink, for thirst is a dangerous thing."


Happy Autumn everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment